
Grandma Mary Lue
For years I have stared at pictures of them and wondered what their laugh was like. Or their hugs. When I was eleven I would go through Grandma Kay's dresser full of her belongings, I used to try to figure out her her favorite clothes or look at her sewing projects that she had been finishing and wondered if they were for me. I wondered what the large inserts for her bra (post surgery) were for and if she hated wearing them.

Grandma Kay
I was three years old when they passed away within a very short time of each other, both in their fifties. It is now, after all these years, that I realize the magnitude of what that must have been like for my parents who were in their twenties when they lost both of their mothers. With Grandma Mary Lue it was sudden and too soon. With Grandma Kay it was the long, drawn out pain and the rocking chair she would sit in to move back and forth, back and forth, while hugging her chest because it hurt so terribly from the cancer.
Yet somehow I do know them. They are a part of my life everyday. I have felt their love and support and yes, definite laughs as they watch this granddaughter muddle through. Grandma Kay had 4 boys in a row. She knows. Sometimes that is just enough to get me through that moment. With Grandma Mary Lue, I have been told I have her personality. I can't wait to be around her because I wonder what it would be like to be around your mother's mom. What is it like? I have always thought there must be something special about that. A maternal grandmother's love.
I think if they were here right now the message would be simple...
Live today to the fullest. Love all those around you as if today were your last.
Love you, too, grandmas.
6 comments:
Mindy, I havn't seen a pic of Mary Lue forever!! What a blessing...and they loved each other so much. Thanks for posting and commenting.
love you sweetheart.
Those are beautiful pictures. I wish I had more pictures of my own mother. Thanks for sharing that post.
Love your Memory Monday! Isn't it wonderful to have those old photos and ponder on what life was like for them back then? I'm sure they will be delighted to meet you as well.
such a great message Mindy! your grandmas were both so pretty!
I would LOVE to see your new place and do a play day! I sent you an invitation to my birthday party via Facebook (check the left hand corner and look for a square with a 31 in it and click on it). Hope you can come to that too.
So happy for you guys! And so good to hear from you again!
Mindy, loved the pictures and comments. Mother did pay a big price for those last years but it was her wish to live long enough to see her children grown. I also know she was very happy when she saw her grand daughters. This helped her during those dark times in her life.
BTW her name was spelled Kaye or she went by Kathleen. She was such a stickler for names. :>)
Post a Comment